Our Early Years embraces both nursery and reception-aged children, and those children joining us for Reception Class will benefit from our Early Years approach where we consider each child as an individual, maximising their learning for their own ability, not just for their age.
Ambitious and creative – the start of a Sion Education
The school values its ethos highly and the dedicated Early Years team has a nurturing approach, yet teaching by stage not age, allowing each child to develop at their own individual pace. Early Years is the foundation on which to build a lifelong thirst for knowledge and love of learning. A ‘Reception’ child may need a more nurturing approach, whilst a ‘Nursery’ child may be ready for the challenges of our Reception curriculum. This is the spirit of a Sion education where each child is recognised as being unique and this personalised provision is fitting. With small classes, specialist teachers and an ambitious, yet creative, curriculum, the children will be able to have the best start to their education at Sion.
Early Years at Sion is a wonderfully exciting time of discovery and exploration. Being the first step on the Sion Journey, it is a delight to encourage inquisitiveness and inspire a spirited response to the world, the self and others.
What to Expect
- Personalised learning journeys
- Specialist teaching for Languages, PE and Music
- Wild Curriculum, including Beach School and local trips
- Daily reading and phonics
- Cursive writing introduced
- Daily Maths learning including practical investigations and use of manipulatives (eg Numicon)
- Opportunities to perform in productions and assemblies
- Community outreach including Inter-generational Project