World Book day was celebrated at Our Lady of Sion School.
Special activities showing how magical books can be included:
- Dressing up as a favourite book character in Junior School.
- Holding an ‘Extreme Reading’ photo competition.
- Integrating Junior and Senior School Library visits.
- Rewarding the school libraries most active borrowers.
- A ‘Big Write Poetry Day’.
- Displaying teacher’s current reading book covers in classrooms.
- Each student received a £1.00 National Book Token.
Dr Orchard, Headmaster said “Students were buzzing about World Book Day. Good reading starts early and children who share books with others are more likely to develop language skills and advanced reading levels. Our events were a fun way to fire up imaginations and encourage them to become avid readers”.
Celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2017, World Book day UK aims to encourage children to explore the pleasure of books.
The World Book Day book token can be exchanged for one of ten specially published World Book Day books, or can be used to get £1.00 off any full price book or audio book costing £2.99 or more at a participating bookshop.